Wednesday, February 16, 2011

bloom where you're planted

I am living up to Mary Englebreit's sage advice. I'm blooming for the first time in a long time. I have always, always, always wanted to grow stuff. My grandparents had a nursery and greenhouse - where did I go wrong?!! I used to have plants but my then kitten (now 16!) would go wild swinging from the vines, digging, ripping the poor plants to shreds. I wasn't even sure what needed done but I brought a few pages of inspiration from magazines of forced bulbs. My friend, Libby (follow link at your own risk ;) ) dug into her barren fridge and produced bulbs, and provided a special ed class on drainage, and voilaaaaaa! A month later I have the HEAVENLY scent of paper whites when I open my front door.

I always thought forcing bulbs meant cramming tightly into a container. If you notice in that poor quality cell-phone picture above, there is one glorious blossoming bulb but if you look closer you will see the others are making their way as well. Growing at their own pace. And they make me insanely happy. I feel like I have accomplished something rather marvelous... something new, something little, something insignificant, but something I've always wanted to do.

Onward I go!

No comments:

Pretty in pink...

Cotton shirts.  Love 'em. Usually can't wear 'em.  Too tight. Pull at the boobs.  Or, shrink in the first wash.  And being a plu...