Monday, June 23, 2008

The Capris from Hell

I was just chuckling at Alicia at Posie gets Cozy. And a bad dress she made. Ahhh the delusions of crafting our own garments.

It's the pattern covers - they never, evah, put a picture of the actual plus size person wearing the big ole garment. And really, making our own clothes - like everything we buy in a store is going to fit perfectly. Anything that requires computing your waistline into YARDAGE is a very, very bad idea.

Last week, I made a charming pair of capris for myself. Or so I thought. I'd never ventured into the world of wearing my own projects, I like to make sweet little girl dresses. I was starting to sweat at the AMOUNT of vintage fabric required to make a pair of capris look like I was wearing a sofa slipcover. A rather tight, ill fitting slipcover.

I can make tiny little capris without blinking, or glancing at the instructions. But, I tell you, I got confused. There was so much fabric. Sooooo confused that I sewed the wrong parts together. And had a really bow legged pair of capris. I still tried them on thinking it was just looking a bit homemade, less factory perfect. Honestly, I made them sideways AND upside down. Go ahead laugh. If I weren't so vain (and chubby), I'd have taken a pix of me. I am obviously a solid square. I'd mistakenly thought I was a pear all these years, but I am a short as I am wide. And I've got the pants to prove it.
Here's what the fabric looked like on a girl's size 6 sun dress. Try not imagine about 2-3 yards of the same fabric around my bottom. Btw, it only takes about about 5 yards of fabric to cover an arm chair. You do the math. I'm almost as big as the chair I'm sitting on.

That's it! Store bought clothes for me...

1 comment:

BumbleVee said...

ahahahhahah Kelley...you are so funny....
... but, I, too, wish I was a little girl again...just to wear one of those cute little dresses you make.

Pretty in pink...

Cotton shirts.  Love 'em. Usually can't wear 'em.  Too tight. Pull at the boobs.  Or, shrink in the first wash.  And being a plu...